The default settings are most of the time ok.
The only thing I most of the time change is the title settings within the configuration. I don't like a title like: [TITLE]-[SITENAME] since I believe that the title should reflect to the content within the specific page. The sitename has no impact on the content most of the time. Reason why it's default setting is because a lot of customers where demanding this feature.
For the other settings:
- Use good titles that reflects the content, and uses only META if its supports the content and other tags (title, etc...).
- Use only the robot tag if its not the default setting index, robot.
Some strategy / advice:
- You can use the keyword and multi phrase suggestions on the URL repository (FETCH URL) to determine which keywords you are using. To use different keyword phrases you can use "synonyms" (a lot of resources available on the internet). Therefor you can create different "entry / doorway" pages with these synonyms.
- Use good internal linking to the pages whereby you should use search engine friendly URLS: install opensef or Artio.
- Make sure that you link to others and others link to you with correct phrases within the link (try to get a high google page rank as possible). Ask sites with high page ranks to link to you.
The forum for information about SEO:http://www.searchengineforums.com/bin/Ultimate.cgi
As well there are some books about this topic (SEO). What the SEF patch does is to make it possible to setup a good SEO strategy for your site.
If you have questions please let us now about it.